Senior or Principal Lecturer / BA Course Director
The Condé Nast College of Fashion is looking for a Senior or Principal Lecturer to join our academic team as Course Director for the BA (Hons) Fashion Communication.
Our 2-year intensive BA (Hons) Fashion Communication launched last year and expansion of Master’s level provision for 2018 means there is now a vacancy for an experienced academic to take over responsibility for managing the BA and teaching on our undergraduate programmes.
This is a full-time position offered on a permanent basis that would suit a current course leader (or acting course leader) looking for a new challenge in an industry-driven educational environment. As well as industry experience, applicants should have experience of teaching and research in one or more of the following areas of Fashion Communication: Fashion Business, Fashion Marketing, Fashion Media and Journalism, Visual Communication for Fashion, Digital Strategies and PR, Fashion Branding.
The college offers a unique working environment that allows unprecedented industry access – staff work on live projects with illustrious brands such as Vogue, Louis Vuitton, Manolo Blahnik and GQ. The industry connectivity provides rare opportunities for academic research and knowledge acquisition, ensuring that the academic team is continuously kept up to date with the latest developments in fashion. The size of the College means that members of the teaching team are able to develop strong relationships with students and are given the time, resources and support needed to deliver an exceptional learning experience.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage the BA (Hons) Fashion Communication course
- Support the College Dean with the day to day running of academic programmes
- Teach across all undergraduate courses at the college in accordance with our Learning, Teaching & Enhancement Strategy
- Create appropriate course material that is regularly updated to reflect the latest industry developments
- Contribute to the development of new courses and units, as well as developing the existing BA programme to ensure it is industry relevant and academically rigorous
- Experience of teaching on BA level fashion courses as part of a permanent course team (the role is not suitable for those with only Visiting Lecturer experience)
- Experience managing courses (preferred) and/or modules at BA level
- Extensive, expert knowledge of one of the identified subject areas, including significant experience in the fashion industry
- A Degree level qualification in a relevant subject as a minimum – a PGCE and a Master’s level qualifications are preferred
- Knowledge of the QAA monitoring process and previous experience of preparing for reviews and working with an External Examiner
- Excellent IT skills, including MS Office
- Highly effective communication skills
- Strong planning and organisation skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with the ability to demonstrate empathy and build rapport with students and collaborate successfully with colleagues
- Take responsibility for own specific area of expertise within the College and lead modules as required
- Identify and deliver high quality learning opportunities for students that will contribute to an exceptional student experience
- Co-ordinate and support the pool of Visiting Lecturers for the BA
- Arrange and supervise external visits, student projects and college-based activities
- Provide effective formative and summative feedback to students, ensuring clear and timely delivery with reference to set assessment criteria
- Support and participate in the internal moderation process, ensuring a fair and transparent approach to feedback
- Ensure QA procedures are adhered to and participate in course and College periodic reviews
- Work with the Registrar to maintain student records and files of evidence and manage re-sits
- Support the external examiner for the BA, planning visits and ensuring they have all required information
- Encourage open and effective communication with the student body, recognising and resolving any issues that could impact on the quality of the student experience
- Mentor new/more junior members of the academic team in the fulfilment of college objectives, as required
- Work with the academic team and Registrar to provide a high standard of pastoral care for students, as well as co-ordinating support for those with additional learning needs
- Participate in College marketing and recruitment activities
The HR department will forward applications to the College Dean if, as a minimum, they demonstrate the following:
- Fashion industry experience
- Teaching experience at BA level
- At lest 3 years of regular teaching, some of which must be UK based
- Experience of educational management / organisation, preferably running courses but at least significant experience running modules
- Expertise in one of the noted fields within Fashion Communication (not Fashion Design)
The College operates with 4x 10-week terms each year. Holiday allowance is in line with company policy (which is reflective of fashion/media industry practice) and does not include college closures, which provide additional leave. As well as this, members of the academic team are given further time for research and relevant independent projects that inform their teaching. The College aims to provide a flexible working environment and the role includes an arrangement for home working on one day each week.
To apply, please visit the Condé Nast Careers Page